Can Older People Have Liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery for removing fat. It can permanently eliminate fat cells that store fat from a specific area of your body that you wish to enhance. Also, liposuction is used to eliminate fat deposits that are resistant to exercise and diet. Age typically isn’t a factor that your specialist requires to consider when discussing West Palm Beach liposuction. However, individuals over 65 may have less firm skin or have lost some elasticity.
Types of liposuction procedures
There are several liposuction techniques available to fulfill the various treatment goals. Liposuction comes in various forms, including:
- Tumescent liposuction: The most frequent liposuction treatment is tumescent liposuction. Your surgeon will inject a saline (salt water) solution into the fatty parts of your body. The combination comprises medications such as epinephrine, which causes blood vessels to constrict. This treatment makes it easier for your surgeon to remove fat and lowers blood loss. Also, other medications are sometimes used to relieve pain.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL): Your surgeon will use ultrasonic energy to liquefy your fat before extracting it from your body via a metal rod implanted beneath your skin.
- Suction-assisted liposuction: Suction-assisted liposuction is a conventional method of removing fat from the body using a vacuum.
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL): It works by moving a tiny stainless-steel instrument (cannula) back and forth over the fat to break it up. Additionally, the cannula facilitates fat removal for your surgeon and makes the surgery more accurate.
- Laser-assisted liposuction: Your healthcare professional will use intense laser beams on a short, flexible tube (fiber) to break down and liquefy your fat, making removal easier. Laser-assisted liposuction requires only a minor incision in your skin to be performed.
Is the liposuction procedure painful?
You will not feel any discomfort during a liposuction operation since your physician will utilize anesthesia. For a few days following your surgery, you may feel pain, stiffness, or soreness, which most patients describe as “burning.” Your provider may recommend medicine to alleviate discomfort or special wraps or compression garments to minimize swelling. Compression garments are tight against your skin but do not restrict circulation.
Difference between liposuction and tummy tuck
Both liposuction and tummy tucks are cosmetic operations. Liposuction permanently eliminates fat cells from a specific area of your body, removing undesirable fat deposits that don’t respond to diet and exercise. A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a surgical operation to remove extra skin and tighten abdominal muscles. Some fat is also removed along with the excess skin. If your skin has stretched out due to pregnancy or if you have lost a lot of weight and have extra skin on your body, you may want to consider a tummy tuck.
Liposuction can provide a long-term option for removing stubborn fat deposits. Talk to your doctor about liposuction if you’ve tried exercise and diet but still have stubborn fat deposits. The safe process can help you appear and feel your best by improving your body shape. Furthermore, liposuction is not a weight reduction therapy. Maintaining a healthy weight is also critical to preserve your new form after the treatment. Call L.A. Vinas M.D. Plastic Surgery, Med Spa & Skin Care Centers, or book your consultation online to determine whether liposuction procedures suit you.